If you want to make a chicken coop yourself for your garden, patio or backyard you’ll need to go through some DIY tutorial. You don’t need to spend a lot of money to make one for your chicken, however, you may need some items such as cabinets, screws, nails and lumbars that you can get from a discounted furniture store. Or alternatively use the items you already have, for example, an old closet can be used for making a nice coup for the birds.
This is a Kansas style chicken coop made with old bathroom cabinets and closets. You don’t need a lot of items to build it.
Before you make a coop for chicken and make a floor plan, you need to consider the following points:
- Number of the chicken that you are designing the chicken shack for.
- There should be enough space for each bird, ideally minimum 10 square foot per bird
- Good heating and ventilation
- Great structure that predators can’t easily destroy, evade and break into
- Space to put in food and some ways to keep the supply of water for the birds
- First make an 18” shady area under the coop. The plan should be similar to the porch where you want the chicken to have 3 feet by 4 feet sitting area. Make walls at least 4 inches taller and use screws to put all the walls together.
- The plan can accommodate almost 3-5 laying birds. Since your chicken would want to sit in a dark place to hatch the eggs, these boxes would be ideal for that. Make each box around 12 inches as it would help with the cleaning.
- Make the roof by using 2x4s rafters and attach each with 3 inch screws.
- Use jigsaw to cut the windows and doors on the chicken coop
- Window openings are needed for proper ventilation for the summer season.
- Make walls with a plan to keep the wind and cold breeze out during the winter months.
- Attach the doors with the coop
- Make 2×4 perches for the birds to sit on
- Make some storage space and a resting place for the chickens.